Turtle walk

12

Turtle walk

Pramod
14 guys had attended the turtle walk on Feb 06.

We were split into 2 groups and covered abt 5-6kms stretch. It was nice experience and Tree foundation is doing a good job towards Turtle conservation involving the local community. Though we were not able to found any Turtle nesting but were able to find some dead fish/sea algae/crabs... etc!

Need volunteers for organising Turtle walks in the coming weekends.

Leaf's departure is because of Wind's pursuit... Or because Tree didn't ask her to stay!!!

Re: Turtle walk

nani
Pramod,

May I know is there any Turtle walk this weekend or coming weekends....I like to be part in all the turtle walks.....please let me know.

Re: Turtle walk

Sathish Kumar
Please let me know, if any Turtle walks to be conducted in the coming weekends...
Thanks.

Re: Turtle walk

Pramod
Few emails I had received

Pramod,

Thanks for the info...I really wish i can make this because i have
been waiting for this. But as you yourself mentioned this is a very
short notice.

Can i ask you for a favor, can you please let us know a couple of days
in advance. I am sure a lot of them would love to come....

Is there a schedule that i can access beforehand, online, thereby not
troubling you for information?

Rgds,

KK
-------

saw the mail just now. will surely join for it next week. keep me posted

rajmohan palaniappan
------

hi promod,
do we have turtle walk this weekend too?

thanks
mathy
------

hi Pramod,

I have always been interested in participating in turtle walk when I was in Chennai. But i could not get any contacts. Currently, I am put up at Bangalore only. But often visit Chennai over the weekends. Is it possible for me to join these walks on the weekends? Please let me know so that I can make arrangements accordingly.

Thanks,
Navina
--------

Pramod,

May I know if anything planned this weekend for this Turtle walk event.

kishore nani
---------------

Hey Pramod,

When is the next turtle walk?
Does it happen every weekend or as per the schedule in the leaflet
attached?

Thanks,
Jay
-----------

My reply to all these people is...........

Request any of guys to come forward n organise the Turtle walk. I will help/support you to get organised.

Wish we could do the turtle walk every weekend as we got plenty of interested volunteers available. Also if we can able to provide the volunteers count early to Tree foundation, then they can arrange the walk in a longer/better way.

Guys Im based at cochin n got limitation to organise every week.

Pramod
Leaf's departure is because of Wind's pursuit... Or because Tree didn't ask her to stay!!!

Re: Turtle walk

nani
Pramod

thnks for replying for the mail.....I do like to organize this Trek......But I never organized any events before.......I can do organize this turtle walk if it is going to happen on Saturday night.

Re: Turtle walk

Pramod
Nice.

Will prepare the invitation form n share it to you. Mail me ur contact number.

In the mean time... go thru the leaflet attached in my earlier mails. :P

Leaf's departure is because of Wind's pursuit... Or because Tree didn't ask her to stay!!!

Re: Turtle walk

Piole
Hi Pramod.

A couple of friends and I were interested in attending the turtle walk too.
Let me know if there are any plans on 20th and 21st weekend.
Also i havent organised any such things before. But would def like to volunteer.
Let me know how i can help

paayal

Re: Turtle walk

Hyundai Bala
Hi Pramod,

Thanks for the quick arrangement of Turtle walk. Although we cudnt find any turtles laying egg, we did learn a lot about it thru the short video & from Mrs Supraja (excuse me if i dont get her name right). Its very rare that we come across such people in our daily life, who have dedicated their entire life on saving animal / plant life.

Learnt a lot about turtle's lifestyle & how we humans cause threat to its very existence.

Looking forward to another exciting Turtle Walk with hopes to see it laying eggs!

It wud be even better, if there are any chances to see the baby turtles during the maturity season in march.

Re: Turtle walk

Pramod
Turtle walk is organised on Feb 13, Saturday night along with Tree foundation. Around 20 guys are expected.

Following are the requirements from Tree foundation. Need to follow strictly.
Warm clothing; walking shoes, flash light, and bottle of water (please do not litter the beaches with plastic wrappers) camera.
Since the hatching will emerge by late February you could witness the emergence of hatching too from the nest.
A minimal of Rs 100-00( One hundred) per person is being accepted as donation towards the community based turtle conservation program.

Conditions: As the Olive Ridley sea turtles are protected under schedule 1 of the wildlife act any move against rules is a punishable crime.
Therefore please adhere to the following rules.

Strictly follow what the coordinator says.
Do not touch the hatchlings unless permitted.
Flash photography permitted only when instructed.
Kids below the age of ten need to be under parent supervision.

Meeting Point: TREE Foundation- 5/25 Blue Beach Road, Neelangarai (The road leading to Periya Neelangarai Village) From Niligirs and Raymonds shop- 2nd left when coming from Tiruvanmayur. Please try to keep to time.

DO register here to participate for the Turtle walk - https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=dG8zdHJHU0MtbWpmVUVmc0diXzA3OXc6MA

Mail Navin or me in case of any queries.

Navin
9840088858
Leaf's departure is because of Wind's pursuit... Or because Tree didn't ask her to stay!!!

Re: Turtle walk

Pramod
Hello

Pls mention in case you are bringing kids/family.

Forgot to mention Navin mail id - gnavin@gmail.com
Leaf's departure is because of Wind's pursuit... Or because Tree didn't ask her to stay!!!

Re: Turtle walk

Pramod

Post Trek Mail of Turtle Walk on Feb 13... by Navin

Call this a first timer's luck or what? 22 participants turned up for the Turtle walk at the Tree foundation with much enthusiasm. This was my first trek/walk of any kind with CTC, and other experienced Trekkers from CTC also had their first Turtle walk. Participants please excuse me if I could not hold up to the benchmark set by CTC in organising these events. We managed to see a Turtle which had come to lay eggs and decided against it at the last minute. It seems she can hold it for 3 days and will make many attempts. And we found a nest with about 140 to 150 eggs which was laid about an hour back. These were relocated to a nearby place to keep it safe. We had the opportunity to touch and feel it. It was like a ping pong ball. It was amazing to see a pot shaped hole dug by the turtle of about 2 feet long.  Cant understand how she dug it up so nicely.   There are cases of people having 9 or 10 Turtle walks and yet to have this kind of an experience. This must surely be treated as the first timer's luck. :)

Before We started, Tree foundation played us a short documentary explaining about the difficulties the Turtles face when they come for the Nesting and the work they carry out to safeguard them.  And we were joined by two other groups and it looked a bit crowded.

This is the link of the photos taken in my cam.

http://picasaweb.google.com/gnavin/Turtle_walk_13_02

Special thanks to Pramod for having the belief in me to carry out the organising part of this Turtle walk. I still don't know how he had so much confidence on me. Thanks to Nachu for taking over the responsibilities after meeting at the Tree foundation and explaining us about kind of the activities done by the CTC. It was an amazing start with CTC.

Cant wait to enroll into some first timers trek soon!!!  Until then Bye.

Thanks and Regards,
Navin Srinivas. G

Thank you very much Navin for organising this wonderful event! Welcome to CTC....

Really you guys are lucky to see the Turtle!

Going forward, we will handover the final list of partcipants to Tree foundation 2 days in prior. So the next invite will be sending it on wednesday morning and 20 partcipants will be final. First come First Serve...

Pramod
Leaf's departure is because of Wind's pursuit... Or because Tree didn't ask her to stay!!!

Re: Turtle walk

sheetal
Thanks to Pramod,Navin and Payal for organising turtle walk.It was my first turtle walk and was amazed by the live turtle nesting and also got to know how important is turtle The Ambassador of Sea :)
Just loved the spirit and dedication of tree foundation !!!! hope to join many more turtle walks

Re: Turtle walk

Pramod
This post was updated on .
34 people turned up for the Turtle walk on Feb 20. AGAIN these guys are very very LUCKY to see a live nesting!

Here are the comments/feedbacks...

Thank you pramod for organizing such a wonderful event.
was much informative..
thank you and guys please post the pics that yu had taken at the earliest... since i got none :(

Vinod Jayakumar

Hi Pramod

Thanx a lot for arranging this even and it was very informative. I dint know the importance of turtles these days.

Please do share the pictures which was taken on that day.

Regards

Ganapathi

hey hi! thanx a lot for organising ...we had gr8 fun and it was very informative too...made gr8 friends there too..i guess the feb 20th crew got very lucky to spot d turtle right from the stage one of digging its nest..a very memorable experience...thanx to ctc n tree foundation.looking forward for more like this....
thanking u
gaya3 :)

here is the link for the photos
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=49004&id=1003596852&l=1af34d49fd

Hey !
Thanks for the organisation, it was a great event ! I really appreciated !
I put some pics on my blog (alain-en-inde.blogspot.com) for those who are interested.
See ya,
Alain

hey!

Thanks a bunch for organising this trip. It was extremely informative, and a great opportunity to watch a turtle from such close quarters. and of course the trip was a lot of fun :).. looking forward to more such trips!

Cheers,

Preethi

Heyo!
Thanks a tonne man....!!! the trip was everythin i looked forward to, and more! The experience was just mind blowin... luved everythin from the way we rushed to the place to catch the turtle nestin, :) to the way it ended, after a walk along the coast, after relocating the eggs... definitely lookin forward to moooore such trips...
keep up the great work!
Kudos

Prathyush

Looking forward for the coming weekend... As hatchlings are expected to come out from the nests! Stay tuned for the invitation.
Leaf's departure is because of Wind's pursuit... Or because Tree didn't ask her to stay!!!

Re: Turtle walk

gnavin
This post was updated on .
Another Lovely Turtle walk!  From having first timer's luck last week (Feb 13) to getting even more luckier this time...  Guess what??  We managed to see a live demonstration of Turtle nesting by none other than our Olive Ridley! Thank you for coming.. and let us all take a pledge, as a CTCian, we will do everything possible along with Tree foundation to keep the shore safe and in easy access to these harmless creatures to continue nesting here without any problem. From where did they learn to nest? After closing the nest, She went and did the same thing(just the dancing part) nearby the nest to camouflage it. You need to experience it to understand.

There were 33 CTCians who turned up. 31 new CTCians + 1(myself) + 1 Krishnamoorthy from (last week Turtle walk). Krishnamoorthy was apparently moved by the work done by Tree foundation. If possible, He wants to visit Tree foundation every week.

Tree foundation is in need of volunteers during the week days as well as on weekends, please come forward and help them. Their web address is http://treefoundationindia.org/ or contact pramod or myself.

The night started of with a short documentary by Tree foundation to help the walkers understand the cause behind the walk.  And I opted to see Turtle Karuna and Hope as I've already seen the documentary last week.

Update on Karuna and Hope:

Karuna (She lost 3 of her flippers) : She is getting better, and Tree foundation is doing everything possible to keep her in a better position.  I've uploaded a short video of Karuna eating fish. Flash photography is prohibited there, I've taken a snap of them too, it wont be clear.

Hope (She lost 1 of her flipper) : Hope is really getting better and almost ready to get back to her home (Sea). They have to keep her there for 2 weeks after stopping the anti-biotic.  By all count, She should be heading back to sea by the first week of march.

Everyone were supposed to see them before heading for the walk.  But after the documentary got over and Dr. Supraja madam was clearing up the gathering with their doubts, School students came up running with the phone. They are volunteers of Tree foundation! I had the opportunity to speak with one of them, He is studying in 9th standard. He visits the Tree foundation every weekend except during exams.  C'mon CTCians, We need to do something for the Turtle conservation. Jan to March is the season, full year commitment is not needed here. Read the leaflet for more details.  The news with the phone call was, a Olive Ridley has come for nesting.  Of we go!!  This time all were ready with their vehicle to follow Supraja Madam's vehicle in a hurry, thanks to last week's experience :).  Once she drove out of the Tree Foundation compound, I could feel the excitement with which everyone followed her..

Once we reached the spot, everyone slowly without making any noise assembled at some distance from her. The sight was truly special.  She was digging the hole with her back flippers. The sand was flying all over her head and falling in the front.  Truly amazing sight. I manged to sms Pramod about this and he could't believe my luck for the second time running.. :)  Once she started to lay eggs, everyone crawled around and reached her back, as flash photography was prohibited at that time, I couldn't take any picture of this..  Once they allowed us to take with flash, it was all flashing around.  Tree foundation recorded her data for the record, and we were all enjoying the sight.  Once she finished her task. She started to close the nest. It was a Turtle dance. I've managed to take the video of this. Will post the link once i upload it. It failed to upload yesterday... :( I'll try again tonight.  its a 3 min video and its big in size...

After the nesting, Tree foundation demonstrated to us with a mock drill for satellite tagging.  Turtle was totally restless during this exercise.  She even tried to climb over the wooden wall and escape. After some time she calmed down and allowed Tree foundation to carry on the work. All that Tree foundation tried to do was to save the future generations of her family.  The data recorded from the satellite tagging will be used to know their path in the sea, their patterns and these data will be used to understand them better and help the Tree foundation in Turtle Conservation.  It was a mock drill, they will start the actual process shortly. After these drill got over, She happily went into the sea again.

Then we got back to the nesting site and relocated those eggs to nearby hatchery.  After this, few returned back to the Tree foundation to see the documentary(those who missed it) and the rest continued on the short walk.

I've uploaded the pictures here...  pictures taken in my cam and my friend's cam.

http://picasaweb.google.com/gnavin/Turtle_walk_Feb_20#

wait for the video link...  will post it shortly...

Re: Turtle walk

gnavin
Here are some more comments/feedbacks...

Hello Pramod & co,
                                      Thanks a lot for the event. I was inspired by the effort that the 'Tree foundation' was putting in towards the conservation of the olive ridley's. I am sure that the episode of the 'Enadi' tribes would have touched everyone's heart. We would do well to do our bit in this awareness campaign.

regards,
Praveen

Pramod,

i am very much thankful to you for organizing such an exciting trek for all of us. The credit of our excitement, our exploration and sighting a Turtle laying eggs and the happiness goes to you people who are all involved in organizing this great event.....

Thank u all.
kishore nani

Hi Pramod & Paayal!

Apologies for not writing sooner, have been traveling back from Chennai.

Many, many thanks for organizing, publicizing, and coordinating these turtle walks.  It was the highlight of my weekend!  May return to Chennai in a few weeks just for the chance to see the hatchlings, enjoyed it so much and believe so much in this cause!

Special appreciation to Paayal who patiently endured many phone calls from my friends who, since I've never gone on a CTC outing before and am new to India, were worried about me and wanted to ensure my safety.  I never felt unsafe though, hats off to you for making it so.

Will send my photos and videos to the group once they've downloaded later today.

Looking forward to seeing you on future CTC adventures!

Virginia :)

Re: Turtle walk

Krishna-09
Hi all,

S navin, I will spend my week ends in trek or in beach. Come on friends "saturday night a beach walk" to relax your mind.

Even in your busy schedule you can easily spend ur sat night also with your family (father,mother,wife,kid, friends and all). That is the gr8 thing here.

Many ways to spend your weekends to relax " in mountains, forest with CTC, a social events with turtles (Tree foundation) Crocodiles (Crocodile bank) , with sneha actress illa pa (snehaindia.org), etc....."

with Cheers
Krishnamoorthy

Re: Turtle walk

gnavin
here are the video links...

Olive Ridley Karuna fed with fish by tree foundation volunteers...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCa0l2-QhNg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jxU_zEsRvo

Olive Ridley Turtle closing the Nest..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jD1cTpcgYk

navin...

Re: Turtle walk

VirginiaW
Many thanks for such a great experience!  Can't believe our luck in seeing a nesting happen, holding turtle eggs in our hands, and watching the conservation effort right before our eyes.  Kudos to Subraja and Tree Foundation for all they do.

Videos (sorry for delay, had trouble downloading):
* Turtle Burying Eggs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJtAAXcIbdE#t=1m50s -- Navin's video from behind the turtle is better, this is just the view from above and the front.
* Practice Run for Satellite Tagging of turtles: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=482S8vuOyFM
* Moving Eggs to Safety: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LU68QwGt1M

Till the next CTC outing!
Virginia :)

Re: Turtle walk

Piole
Hi Everyone..

Sorry for the late mail... the entire turtle walk was a wonderful experience!!! I have been meaning to go on it for a long time.
Luckily got the chance last weekend......and should say we were very lucky to find a turtle and view the nesting right at the start...
and a big thanks for everyone being such a sport and a wonderfully enthusiastic crowd :)...

great seeing all the snaps and videos.. :)

hoping to see all in more treks and walks

cya
paayal

Re: Turtle walk

arksuresh
@ Turtle walk on 27.03.2010

Hi CTC,

First of all Kudos to CTC and Tree foundation for such any oppurtunity and helping hands.

Had a wonderful time seeing the small turtles to come out and take the first breathe in this world from their nest.
Thanks for navin and supraja for organizing.

This was my first experience with CTC, and it was wonderful.

check out the photos in below link,

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=196784&id=689847914&ref=nf#!/album.php?aid=196784&id=689847914

Suresh
9500013101