Shevaroy Hills Cycling - May 12-13

peter.vangeit
Administrator
Peter Van Geit
Dare to create your own path rather than follow existing trails
http://www.google.com/profiles/peter.vangeit

Re: Shevaroy Hills Cycling - May 12-13

Balaji Mohan

Re: Shevaroy Hills Cycling - May 12-13

peter.vangeit
Administrator

Re: Shevaroy Hills Cycling - May 12-13

peter.vangeit
Administrator
Brijesh -

https://picasaweb.google.com/115801550775367711904/ShevaroyHillCycling?noredirect=1
Peter Van Geit
Dare to create your own path rather than follow existing trails
http://www.google.com/profiles/peter.vangeit

Re: Shevaroy Hills Cycling - May 12-13

peter.vangeit
Administrator
Krishna -

Biking in Yercaud hills May 12-13, 2012

May 12

I was thrilled on knowing that Nithesh would be joining due to few drop-outs. Thanks for them & our much-awaited cycling-biking trip kicked-off on early hours of Saturday.  As usual, we met few members of cycling party in front of Nathan's cafe, CMBT. After loading all bikes in truck, we started at 3:40AM in a Fortuner, Spark, Indica & Santro.Our first pit-stop was for Tea around 07:00 AM after Vaniyambadi.

We reached Salem by 09:00 AM & had breakfast. After checking with the group, we went to Shervaraayan hills to wait for others. They were delayed as Truck carrying our bikes broke-down and had to be fixed. Eventually truck arrived in Yercaud around 03:30PM after 4hrs of our arrival.

Quickly soon after the bikes were off-loaded from the truck, almost everyone was raring to pedal as weather was perfect to get going. We started at 03:40PM and kept pedaling with few stretches of up-hill followed by down-hill filled with scintillating, picturesque sights of long-sky tall trees on both sides of the roads. It was such a special feeling which can't be expressed; only needs to be experienced.

By 05:30PM or so 4 of us went passed Kaveri peak & started to descent to Yercaud from other side. Goutham and me stayed together as 2 guys went past us-that's the only thing which made us to proceed ahead. Even as we knew there's no-one behind us. We decided to push/walk the up-hill & enjoyed pedaling the down-hill by talking and pondering when would be meet others. Finally around 07:30PM or so we met Ali almost at the starting point were cycling started.

We followed ShanmugaNathan who told us that he would guide all 4 of us till camp-site. When we asked him, where and How far is the camp-site - response was its 15km up-hill near Kaveri Peak.All four of us said NO-WAY. We would be better off waiting there and would Peter to come down on his vehicle to get us+cycles back to camp-site. It was already 08:30PM & I decided to go in Indica along with ShanmugaNathan leaving bike with 3 guys. Not easy till we ultimately found a camp-site by abandoned high school which was around 11PM or so. Peter got back on his fortuner to get back 3 guys & cycles.

soup was served followed by noodles. I tasted few spoons of soup and slept.

May 13

Woke up at 07:40AM, glad to see 3 folks and bikes back. After tea & abundance of corn-flakes for breakfast.

Day 2 started at 10:15 AM after cycling for an hour; took down-hill off-road for about 10min from where everyone baring (me and Vasanth) went by foot to hill-top where there was a temple and view was breath-taking. Me and Vasanth went down till the stream and then back to road by 12 noon and then descend from there to Yercaud around 01:20 PM and had lunch. Biking resumed by 2:40/3:00 PM with spell-bound, stunning views of Yercaud hills all over the route till end of cycling- distance of about 28km. In between we stopped beside coffee estate owned by Mysore Maharaja, where crew had a ball-of-time in small stream. It started to rain which didn't deter our spirits to keep going. We were fortunate to cycle in perfect weather conditions; pedal by night & in rain.

In all 30+10+30=70km of cycling mostly by Thar road in Yercaud hills was to stay in my mind for a very long-time to come.
Peter Van Geit
Peter Van Geit
Dare to create your own path rather than follow existing trails
http://www.google.com/profiles/peter.vangeit

Re: Shevaroy Hills Cycling - May 12-13

peter.vangeit
Administrator
Sathya

Yes, Indeed a wonderful experience.  Thanks for each and every one who have participated in this.  After some 15 years am falling off from a bike and I really really cherished that moment when I fell down.  That was a pleasure.  :)

Awesome ghat roads, particularly the one which we came down on Sunday afternoon was an excellent scenic place.

I will soon try to give a brief on the accounts to everybody, may be today night (Sorry, got some work to catch up with in office).

With full of Fun-Filled memories,
Sathya R Narayanan
Peter Van Geit
Dare to create your own path rather than follow existing trails
http://www.google.com/profiles/peter.vangeit

Re: Shevaroy Hills Cycling - May 12-13

peter.vangeit
Administrator
Anand

It was quite a learning experience. Had a lot of fun learning about the effect of rain/slush/mud on braking and friction effects. It was great to go downhill,overtake motor bikes and realize that the reason they don't try to go faster is their heavy weight and the amount of momentum they will gain by going faster(bigger the momentum, harder to stop.).  It's always good fun to see in real life, what you have learnt in theory by rote years ago.

Not to mention, the quiet of the woods and the rarefied, pure, cool air of the mountainside.. Just f**$$ing brilliant..... Am sore all over, but would rather be cycling in yercaud than working at office today.  :-P

  Regards
Anand Jeyahar
http://anandjeyahar.wordpress.com/
http://lesswrong.com/user/anandjeyahar
https://github.com/anandjeyahar
The man who is really serious,
with the urge to find out what truth is,
has no style at all. He lives only in what is.
                  ~Bruce Lee