MTB Chennai South

peter.vangeit
Administrator
Peter Van Geit
Dare to create your own path rather than follow existing trails
http://www.google.com/profiles/peter.vangeit

Re: MTB Chennai South

peter.vangeit
Administrator
Even tough we suffered lots of punctures hope that most of you had a nice time this morning cycling South of the city limits.

Please share your experience and photos in this email thread.

Here are my pics:

https://picasaweb.google.com/100915207983887498382/MTBChennaiSouth2

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.4011974340414.161103.1312929832&type=3
Peter Van Geit
Dare to create your own path rather than follow existing trails
http://www.google.com/profiles/peter.vangeit

Re: MTB Chennai South

peter.vangeit
Administrator
Mahendran

Hi Peter,

Thank you very much for sharing moments...   we enjoyed lot....
I hope, next time....  we'll complete the whole.  Due to time limit...  we force to break in between.   Thank you once again for all team members and their passion.

Regards,
R. Mahendran
Peter Van Geit
Dare to create your own path rather than follow existing trails
http://www.google.com/profiles/peter.vangeit

Re: MTB Chennai South

peter.vangeit
Administrator
Sundara

Thanks peter for the wonderful experience.. and thanks for all CTCians.. i really enjoyed the ride...
Peter Van Geit
Dare to create your own path rather than follow existing trails
http://www.google.com/profiles/peter.vangeit

Re: MTB Chennai South

peter.vangeit
Administrator
Polisetti

Here is the link to show the actual path we have traversed today in MTB Chennai South …

http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/workout/kumarpvs/ekagc3i4up8q0e8u

PS: In the return, I have taken ECR instead of OMR.
Peter Van Geit
Dare to create your own path rather than follow existing trails
http://www.google.com/profiles/peter.vangeit

Re: MTB Chennai South

peter.vangeit
Administrator
Punitha

Thanks to Peter for this great ride - off city limits ! Got a chance to enjoy my new bike the very next day !!

Thanks to the wonderful participants for all the fun & help ! I enjoyed lots & looking forward to more cycling !!!

And ofcourse, learnt to fix a puncture too ;)) Thanks to all the live lec-demos :))

Sad to say my other tire also got punctured - noticed it after I reached Pondy !

Peter, any Auroville cycling plans ?!!

Punitha
Peter Van Geit
Dare to create your own path rather than follow existing trails
http://www.google.com/profiles/peter.vangeit

Re: MTB Chennai South

peter.vangeit
Administrator
Perathur

Thanks for the amazing day! Thanks to everyone for making it happen! Amazing Photos!
I thank everyone again for making such a wonderful trip. Thanks to Peter and his team for organizing such event. Hats off to you guys!!
Peter Van Geit
Dare to create your own path rather than follow existing trails
http://www.google.com/profiles/peter.vangeit

Re: MTB Chennai South

peter.vangeit
Administrator
Mahendran

Thank you very much for each and everyone part of the trip.  Special thanks for Peter for organizing and giving this great experience.

Personally, This was exciting and excellent trip....More than cycling skills.... commitment, helping, sharing, persistence, friendship, caring.... is my takeaway from this trip.....  It also helped me to move very quickly towards my monthly goal...

Thank you once again to all...   we will meet again....  very soon... in another trip...

With Regards,
R. Mahendran
GLD Movement
[We- Greet - Learn - Do]
http://greetlearndomovement.wordpress.com/
Peter Van Geit
Dare to create your own path rather than follow existing trails
http://www.google.com/profiles/peter.vangeit

Re: MTB Chennai South

peter.vangeit
Administrator
Sara

That was a great trip, thanks for Peter and other organizers. looking forward to hear from you soon about another trip:)
Peter Van Geit
Dare to create your own path rather than follow existing trails
http://www.google.com/profiles/peter.vangeit

Re: MTB Chennai South

peter.vangeit
Administrator
Naresh

Hi All

I really had a great time on this saturday morning. I had never dreamt of going in middle of fields and almost a forest, in cycle, especially in chennai city..
An all new different experience to cherish forever and an all new different pain to bear for an hour !!
The pics are cool, and please share the other pics also taken... And also plz share the famous 'Puncher tutorial' videos...

I will send my writeup on the event tonight..
Peter Van Geit
Dare to create your own path rather than follow existing trails
http://www.google.com/profiles/peter.vangeit

Re: MTB Chennai South

peter.vangeit
Administrator

Re: MTB Chennai South

peter.vangeit
Administrator
MounTain Biking (MTB) – To Sholinganallur lakes – 9th June 2012
Cycling is one of the healthiest exercises for a healthy body. More than an exercise, Cycling @ CTC is a fun !! A fun coupled with thrill, helping, sharing and caring outside the ever polluted city.
It was an Invitation for a peter event – no wonder there was people travelled from pondy just for it. Even the pre–ride moments, after getting selected, were challenging. A cycle owner will have only one primary work – “Check if the cycle is in condition”, but those cycle renters – Find up the cycle shop, select a brand, pay advance, produce identity card and finally - take and make delivery, before and after the event respectively !!
After fulfilling all those norms, finally had the hero of the day – my possible 24 geared MTB Mountaineer !
At sharp 4.00 in the morning, started my cycle journey, first towards Tidel park which itself seemed longer from my place. Accompanied with my friend, who in fact stayed night together, we rushed to the meet place in the wee hours, keeping in mind peter’s last mail about starting SHARP at 4.30 am. We don’t want to miss the group and at last reached the place, just in time before the departure to the still-prevailing agricultural lands near the fastest urbanizing city.
Thus started off to Sholinganallur, with a group of around 20 people, driving solely with the help of powerful municipal highway lights and few encouraging tamil songs played in my friends mobile.
                    If the wind is not against you, it is not blowing.       Much true to the saying, we faced the heavy breeze opposing, thus making sure we’re on the right way.
Though initially riding in one / two member team, the clustering of teams was done by peter in our break for coffee / tea / water. Here, the late comers joined us for the journey ahead.
Now started the interesting phase of the ride, heading to the muddy cum dusty roads in two teams – the leading and the sweeping. This tested the real fitness – of both, the cycle and its engine (one who drives it J). The fitness of most of the cycles was very much evident throughout the ride, with the tyres unable to bear the pain of the pricking thorns and blowing off. We had the first puncture here, yet moved ahead after Peter quickly resolving it.
Now came the fitness test for riders – carry over your bikes and cross the paddy fields over to the strong muddy pave path. Indeed it proved to be a herculean task for many of us, thus getting to know ‘the real power of Hercules’ :P Still, no worries as we had PETER !! He helped all who showed some real difficulty; thus continuing the journey without any break.
Smooth, predictable riding when you're in a group isn't just a matter of style. It's survival.

Gaining strength, we rode through the one way mud paths, having the garbage dumped lake on one side and the fields on the other side and the villain thorns in middle of both – thus obstructing our way. The thorns can prick our geared cycle tyres but not our geared mind. The mud path leads to the beautiful pine forest hidden near the city. Well, beauty comes with kooky.
The mini-forest provided more thorns for all, indiscriminately – right from peter, to other active cyclists, stuntmen and also to innocent riders who did nothing but follow the trial. Here came the famous mobile puncture tutorial given by Peter on how to put a quick puncture within few minutes with his mobile puncture kit. No doubt, it was amazing. Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again, so is a bicycle repair kit.
Apart from thorns, the forest also provided us a vast place to have a group snap of our team.
Within minutes, we reached the well, our recess place. The original plan was to have a common task for all – to get down and have a bath. But nature had us something different. There were many groups of people each working out a different set of task – On one hand, a group of puncture experts rectifying those ever punctured tyres along with punctured cycles’ owner and on the other hand, was a group of water divers who showcased their water stunts in the warm water; the photography group capturing both the action shows – diving and puncturing. Apart from these, were a unique group of people who did a good audience.
The watch ticks past nine, thereby reminding few people of their return. History is very important for the future. Thus, we had another group photo, before our team split off and started back to the noisy city while the others lead by Peter moved on to do an intense cycling in few more spots, only to discover many more thorns and getting expertise in cycle puncture.
The return seemed a continuation of the MTB for me and my friend, who again split from the group, to take the Velachery route to reach T.Nagar. Unfortunately, it was then, the garbage fire accident took place and we had to take the diverted route, with irregular muddy rocks proving a worse ride than the village roads. And of all, had my friend’s cycle punctured here. The real urban puncture made us troll the cycle in search of a cycle shop !!
Finally reached the home-sweet-home with lots of fun filled adventurous memories, a new life event for my facebook timeline, the post-feat body pain and my not-yet-punched cycle.

Regards
C. Naresh